Friday, August 6, 2010

a•vun•cu•lar (ə vuŋ ́ kyōō lər)

"Of or like an uncle" is the definition of this word.

Hmmm.

So the word avuncular means "of-uncle-ar?"  What a tricky trick, to create a word which at first seems to be powerful and strange, but which really means something so mundane and family-ar.  I feel like laughing.  When my second oldest, Pearl, looked up the word for me and reported on her findings, I accused her of fibbing to me.  It seemed that ridiculous.

And what on earth does "of or like an uncle" really mean?  Surely this word has no universal application.  Most of my uncles are mysteries to me--people whom I have spent just a wee bit of time with in my whole life.  So for me, avuncular would mostly mean "mysteriously absent."

It makes me wonder about the word sisterly, too, and brotherly.  I wonder if everyone in Philadelphia--the city of brotherly love--spends their time hearing off-color jokes and getting punched in the upper arm, and reminded of embarrassing moments from their past.  Now THAT's brotherly love.

Which is not to say that my brothers, my kids' uncles, are not the best in the world.  I'm sure that the feeling that comes to mind for my children when they hear "avuncular" is something akin to joy.  Their uncles call them on their birthdays, think of them tenderly and often, and make them laugh hysterically, even when the jokes are off-color.  Avuncular jokes are some of their favorites!

My two youngest boys are well on their way to becoming avuncular themselves.  Below is a conversation we recently had which demonstrates my point.

George (5):  Mom!  Lewis said my head is up an elephant's butt!!

Mom (21):  Is it true, George?  (my standard response to tattle tales like this.)

Lewis (7, stepping in):  No, it's not true.

Mom (21):  Is it true, George?

George (5):  No.

Mom (21):  Has it ever been true, George?

George (5):  Yes.

Mom:  George?

George:  Well, it's true for my imaginary friend.   He's had his head up an elephant's butt.  Well, he thought it was, but actually it was the trunk.

Mom:  George, I think that if it were me, I would resign as your imaginary friend.

Lewis, George, and one of the avuncular men in their lives.
My children's uncles are clever, quick and kind in addition to being generally off-color most of the time.  I wish everyone could like the word avuncular as well as my kids will.

1 comment:

  1. I would never have guessed that was the definition. It makes me wonder if I'm mistaken as to the definition of uncle.
    And yes, George's friend is definitely getting a bum rap.

    ReplyDelete