Thursday, August 5, 2010

in•cip•i•ent (in sip ́ ē ənt)

According to Webster, incipient means "just beginning to exist or appear."  That describes my life as a blogger--the spinner of a single strand on the worldwideweb--don't you think?

A few years ago my children started shouting, "WFTD!" when I would use a word in conversation that had been one of their daily vocabulary words at middle school.  WFTD stood for "Word for the Day."  In order to continue that word-learning habit at home, I started fridge-posting new and strange words taken from books I was reading.  They got a star next to their names if they could spell and define the word for me.  I figured I was being the most fantastic Mom in the world by introducing them to new concepts and simultaneously preparing them to ace their ACTs.  It's strange how once you "own" a word, you start to see it everywhere, or see opportunities to use it everywhere.  (Kind of like how I would see pregnant women everywhere when I was expecting.) So, if you are in the mood to learn new words (new to me, anyway) and see how these words apply in a REAL life--my real life--then tune in.

By the way, being incipient. . . ?

It's a little nervewracking. . . and a little exciting.

  
this summer's vocabulary list

1 comment:

  1. It won't be a single strand it will be a silk rope--meaty, fun and thought provoking I am sure.

    ReplyDelete